Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Remember when

Image from Reuters

Who knew that at such young ages, we would be able to sigh and reminisce about the way gas prices used to be? I remember filling up my little car for $13 - now we pay closer to $40!

Some might say we have nothing to complain about since we live in a big city and can take public transportation. Metro is pretty pricey though - my metro cost would be $3.50 each way every day. Adam at least gets his Metro fare paid for by his office, but mine adds up pretty quickly. And then there is the emotional cost of dealing with trains that constantly stop working and leave you stranded in tunnels and stations, buses that aren't even remotely on schedule and the occasional public scolding from a crazy old man (seriously).

You know how older people like to tell us they walked to school, uphill both ways, in all weather? I'm beginning to believe that they had the right idea!

When Adam first told me he was walking to work from his apartment on Mass Ave, I probably told him he was crazy. That was three miles! But, here I am, believing in the madness. It was a lot easier to walk from our old place - it was 3 miles and very scenic. My new walk is 4.2 miles (Adam's is 4.5) and is much more urban than the last one. I guess the cool part about it is getting to watch various new developments spring up and checking out other people's yards for ideas for our own.

Now that its really hot I tend to get lazy and fork over the Metro fare, but I really do like my walk to work. Its good exercise, for one thing. Adam is losing all kinds of weight from it but not me (grr). It's also less stressful than any other form of commuting, so its a nice chance to ease into the day.

The presumptive presidential candidates keep talking about how to lower fuel prices, but I think we could probably all find ways to lower our use of fuel. This is our idea - how about you guys? Anyone have any good ideas?

1 comment:

Granny Stance said...

Car-Free America!

Walk, bike, run, or take a rickshaw when your knees hurt.

I feel bad for people in Oklahoma, but they'll get used to urban living with bicycle routes, or riding a horse into town from the farm, soon enough.